Our overall aim for English, within the Federation of All Saints and St Margaret’s Catholic Voluntary Academy, is to promote high standards of language and literacy beginning with the development of spoken and written word; as this underpins the development of reading and writing. We aim to cultivate their love of literature through an enjoyment of reading and writing. The national curriculum for English aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literacy heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language a d style in a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn, they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, marking formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.